Skip to main content

Reading 3

Reading 3 - Research

This week I spent time researching my topics for the the chapter I will be co-writing for the book. After breaking down my topics last week into smaller terms I was able to find some useful things online.

So far I have noticed that a lot of people have their own process to game design and layout but there are some general steps to follow. I read an article by Top Hatt Waffle where they talked about their old process and how they've improved it. The main steps I noted were;

1.Brainstorming and ideas 
You must be able to visualise the level if you want to even attempt to begin this process.
2.Drafting and drawing 
This step doesn't need to be a masterpiece as long as you can understand the concept your self.
3.Commitment
Commit to the level so that is always in the back of your mind and you're always thinking of new things to enhance the players experience.
4.Initial Construction
This is the beginning of creating your level in 3D.
5.Function
Make sure there is a purpose to the level e.g are there hostages/obstacles?
6.Detail Work
In this step you're basically adding in things to make the level look visually pleasing.
7.Test
In this article they advise you to send the completed game to someone who has never seen it to test it.
8.Fix
Fix any problems compiled in the previous step and save

Wikipedia also had some useful information on the steps for the game design process. These steps are more to do with the smaller details of the design. 

1. Lay out the large-scale features of the map
Hills, cities, rooms, tunnels, etc., for players and enemies to move around in.
2. Determine environmental conditions 

e.g day/night, weather, scoring systems etc.
3. Specify certain regions where certain gameplay activities or behaviours occur.

e.g resource harvesting, base building, water travelling
4. Specify non-static parts of a level

e.g doors, keys and buttons.
5. Specify locations of various entities

e.g player units, enemies, monster spawn points, ladders, coins.
6. Specify the start and exit locations.

Where the players/ enemies leave/enter.
7. Adding aesthetic details 

e.g textures, sounds, animation, lighting and music


Games Design Process
Image 1: https://www.onlinedesignteacher.com/2013/03/games-design-process_7.html
Diagram of game design process

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Introduction to Me My name is Lauren Murphy and I am 20 years old. I live in Castleknock and have 4 people in my family including myself.  My favourite class last semester was Design Process and Practice. I have a big interest in graphic design and I really enjoyed learning about the principles and rules of design. My goals for this module are to improve my blog writing skills and successfully create a video game. Image 1: Boracay Beach During Summer I went on holiday to The Philippines. I travelled for 22 hours to Manila, where I stayed for 4 days. I then flew to Boracay and Cebu. Each place was amazing and different in their own way. I met a lot of people who were travelling alone around Asia. After listening to some people's experiences, I have decided I will definitely go back to Asia next summer. I also went to Hungary this Summer. Some of my friends were interrailing around Europe so I met them in Budapest for 4 days. I went to the famous Baths and also went on

Game Idea Research

Game Idea Research Hi again! After brainstorming a few ideas for my game, I have decided I'm going to stick to an adventure style. As I've said before in previous blog posts, I gained a lot of inspiration from the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro series. The user of the game will be able to walk around a virtual world. They can collect gems which will add to their score. There will also be different type of keys hidden around the world. Each key will unlock another part of the world to explore. Once the player unlocks an area, they will have to fight small creatures that are walking around. As the players score increases, their strength will increase. This allows the player to fight tougher opponents as the game goes on. The player's health will take a toll if hit by a creature they are fighting. The aim of the game is to beat the creatures and collect all the keys to unlock the entire world.  Image 1:   Minecraft Virtual World I hope to learn enough s

Game Brainstorm

Game Brainstorm Game 1:  My first game idea is to create an adventure game. As I said before, in blog about my favourite video game, Crash Bandicoot was my number one. A game similar to this would be ideal. There would be one character travelling through worlds, collecting objects and fighting villains. Other games similar to this are Ratchet And Clank and Spyro. I like the idea of the player having their own character and being free to travel around the world they're in. After watching some Unity tutorials, I have gathered knowledge on how to create the basis of these games. I have a lot more to learn, but I am looking forward to broadening my skills. Image 1: Crash Bandicoot  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7G91RjVmvk Game 2:  The second type of game idea I came up with is a racing video game. I've taken inspiration from the playstation game "Micro Machines" and Nintendo game "Mario Kart". The game would have both multiplayer and solo options